How to Setup Belkin N300 Wi-Fi N Router
How to Setup Belkin N300 Wi-Fi N Router
The Belkin N300 Wi-Fi N Router is designed for enhanced performance. Built on Wireless-N protocol, this Router increases the surfing, downloading and other online activities’ speed significantly. It can be optimized to give up to 300 Mbps speed. It has options for Parental Control so that it can be connected or disconnected virtually. The router comes with a User Manual and Installation CD for easy and uncomplicated Setup. It can be Setup even using any Smartphone, tablet or computer. It offers a strong signal strength that enables you to watch videos, surf Internet, send and receive e-mails, play games seamlessly. The Setup process is easy enough to make your Internet connection ready within minutes. There are Troubleshooting hacks and suggestions that will solve any difficulty within minutes.
It enables the user to add several networks together either by using an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi. It has built-in Firewall to protect the network from potential virus threats. It works on all Windows or Mac systems. It has a Reset button that can be used to troubleshoot any complication. The Router can be set up either by using the Installation CD or manually. The additional setting of the Router offers the user to add additional computers and networks to the Router’s system. It provides the option for Guest Access so that temporary users won’t have to join the network while using the Internet connection. They will be able to use the Internet by providing the Username and Password of the guest network in the login page shown when they attempt to access the web.
How it works :-
Routers are devices that enable us to send IP packets throughout networks and join the networks together. It channelizes the traffic among networks and can connect to any number of networks. The Belkin N300 Router is based on Wireless-N protocol as opposed to Wireless-G. Wireless-N significantly increases the maximum rate of data transmission ten times of Wireless-G, from 54 Mbps to 600-900 Mbps. it increases security and improves other additional features.
The Belkin N300 Router is built and designed in a way so that it can reach a maximum speed of data transfer. It is firewall protected Router and uses Advanced User Interface. Some technical details enable this device to perform better than other Routers available in the market.
1. Integrated 802.11n Wireless Access Point :- The Belkin Router uses MIMO or Multiple Input Multiple Output smart-antenna technologies. This technology ensures that your Router can reach a speed of up to 300 Mbps while transferring data.
2. NAT IP Address Sharing :- The Belkin Router uses NAT or Network Address Translation technology to save you from the hassle of adding IP addresses per computer. It allows the user to share singular IP address across your network.
3. SPI Firewall :- Your network is protected from a wide array of common virus and spyware as the Belkin Router comes with a firewall
4. Web-Based Advanced User Interface :- Router’s advanced settings can be changed easily through your web browser from any computer connected to your network.
5. Belkin Router Monitor :- You can monitor the Router’s status and change required network settings using the Belkin Router Monitor application.
6. Integrated 4-Port 10/100 Switch :- The Router is inbuilt with a 4-port network switch that will allow your computers to share printers, MP3 files, photos etc.
Additional features of Belkin N300 Router are as follows:-
1. Speed:- Up to 300Mbps for greater performance
2. Simple Start:- Easy setup in minutes. Browser-based window uses your Smartphone, tablet or computer to install your router in just minutes.
3. Parental Controls:- Blocks unsafe and inappropriate content automatically for all the devices on your network.
4. High-Powered Signal:- Multi Beam technology provides maximum coverage virtually anywhere in the home.
5. Self-Healing:- Troubleshoots network problems and fixes them automatically.
6. Preset Security:- Unique pre-printed security card to make sure your network is protected.
7. Compatibility:- Works seamlessly with wired ‘G’ devices.
8. 2-Year Warranty:- Backed by Belkin’s 2-year limited warranty and 24/7 tech support
How to Setup Belkin N300 Wi-Fi N Router:-
The box contains one N300 Wireless N Router, Power supply attached to the router, one Ethernet cable attached to the router, User Manual, Belkin Setup CD and Network information card. To get started the first thing that is to be determined is where the router should be placed. The N300 wireless router should be placed next to the modem in an open location. It should be kept in mind that they are to be kept away from large metal made objects and equipment carrying magnets, like speakers. If possible, the Router should be placed on a raised surface, above the floor level. It will improve the quality and strength of the wireless signal. To get started with the setup:-
Step 1– The first thing that you have to do is to connect the Router’s Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port of your modem on the back. The port may have a different labelling depending on the type of modem you are using. If this is the first time you are adding a router, you may find that the port is connected to the computer through an Ethernet cable. You can disconnect it from the computer and attach the router to the modem without worry.
Step 2– The next step is to connect the power supply plug to a wall electric supply socket and switch it on.
Step 3– Now, place the CD provided in the Box into the CD/DVD player. It should start the setup process automatically. If it does not, browse your Computer to locate the CD drive. The icon should read Belkin Setup CD. Double-click on the icon to open the CD.
Step 4– Click on the Setup icon to start the setup process.
Step 5– Follow through the steps and after the installation process is partially complete the software will ask for the name of the network and the password. This information can be obtained from the network information card that came with your Router. Keep that card secured under the Router base or in a safe place for future use.
Step 6– A screen showing the progress of your installation will pop-up and additionally required software will be installed. After a few minutes, when the installation is complete, a message will appear indicating the success of the installation. This indicates that your Belkin Router has been connected to the internet and you are good to go.
Once you complete the basic setup options will be available to you to change your network name, password and security type from the Advanced Settings option. You can personalise settings like your network name, password and wireless security strength from Network Name and Security. If you have changed your network service provider or moved residence then Internet Service Provider & Login settings options can be used to make necessary changes without going through the setup again.
To know the current status of the Belkin Router and to access and change settings the Belkin Router Manager can be used. The settings can be accessed by clicking on the Router icon and selecting from the menu. The front lights of your router show the status of the Router as well. If there is a blue light it indicates that your computer is connected to the Router and the router, in turn, is also connected to the Internet. If the light becomes amber then it means that your computer is connected to the Router but it is disconnected from the internet.
Other wireless devices, computers, Wi-Fi printers and gaming consoles can be connected to the Belkin Router in a few easy steps. It can be done either by using the CD provided or manually. To set up using a CD:-
Step 1– Insert the Setup CD into your CD/DVD player. If the CD does not Autoplay, browse your computer to find the CD drive. Double-click to open the Belkin setup CD icon.
Step 2– From the CD menu click on the Setup icon.
Step 3– Follow the steps 5 and 6 as described above and your setup is complete.
This setup software runs only on Windows and Mac OS X systems. If you do not want to set up using the CD to add additional devices, it can also be done manually. You just have to locate wireless network connections option from your computer wireless device and select Belkin Router from the available networks list. Then, you would have to enter the password provided to you. The Router will take a few seconds to connect to the network. You can try again if the connection is not successful on the first try but if you are still facing difficulty connecting to the network even after trying several times then you should try the ‘troubleshooting’ options. There could be a prompt coming where you might have to choose the security type which can be retrieved from the card provided to you in the product box.
Common issues and Troubleshooting :- The user may face some issues while using the Router. Though these are not frequent they may appear from time to time. There are some common issues that can pop up. But there are troubleshooting solutions for all of them.
1. The setup CD not starting automatically :- It may sometimes happen that when you insert the CD for setup, the Belkin Setup doesn’t start automatically. It might be due to the settings of your computer. Maybe its configuration does not support Autorun external memories. To troubleshoot this problem, you may try Setting up your Belkin Router manually by browsing to the CD-Rom of your computer and opening the icon named ‘Belkin Setup. There is an alternative to this operation. You would have to open your browser and type http://router in the address bar and then set up the software manually. This is a relatively minor problem and can be solved easily.
2. Belkin Setup cannot find my Router :- It may sometimes happen that the setup is unable to recognise the Router while installing the software. There are a few easy steps that you can follow and check to troubleshoot this issue. First, you have to ensure that the wireless hardware, if available, is powered on. Next, you should try to use your Ethernet cable to connect your computer with one of the wired ports on your Router. Please ensure that your Router is switched on which will be indicated in the front panel light. Switch off the power supply and unplug it. Now, you have to wait for ten seconds and put the plug on again. You should also check whether your computer’s Firewall is preventing the connection of your Router. If that is the case, the firewall can be turned off temporarily until the setup is complete. If this too fails then the Belkin Router can be installed manually following the steps described earlier.
3. Belkin Setup cannot find my Router :- It may sometimes happen that the setup is unable to recognise the Router while installing the software. There are a few easy steps that you can follow and check to troubleshoot this issue. First, you have to ensure that the wireless hardware, if available, is powered on. Next, you should try to use your Ethernet cable to connect your computer with one of the wired ports on your Router. Please ensure that your Router is switched on which will be indicated in the front panel light. Switch off the power supply and unplug it. Now, you have to wait for ten seconds and put the plug on again. You should also check whether your computer’s Firewall is preventing the connection of your Router. If that is the case, the firewall can be turned off temporarily until the setup is complete. If this too fails then the Belkin Router can be installed manually following the steps described earlier.
4. The difficulty with WPS and WEP security settings :- To troubleshoot this issue you should first open your web browser -> type http://router/ in the address bar -> click the ‘login’ option -> enter your password when prompted -> click submit button -> on the page that appears, click ‘wireless’ -> click ‘security’ on the drop-down menu -> choose the ‘WPA/WPA2’ option -> enter a password of 8 to 63 characters including spaces and punctuations -> click ‘apply changes’ to finish the encryption of the wireless connection. Now, anyone using your network connection will have to enter a new security key to access the web.
If you are facing difficulty setting up Wired equivalent privacy or WEP, follow these steps to troubleshoot: open your web browser -> type http://router/ in the address bar -> click the ‘login’ option -> enter your password when prompted -> click submit button -> on the page that appears, click ‘wireless’ -> click ‘security’ on the drop-down menu -> choose the ‘128-bit WEP’ option -> type a WEP key manually or generate one using passphrase -> after the key is generated, click on ‘apply changes’ to finish the setup and you have an encrypted network in no time.